Hi Everyone 🙂
How do you get tired when you are working while sitting on a comfortable chair in an air conditioned office? Its is a common question I come across. I know many people have perception that people who work hard, shedding sweat in the field get tired whereas people who sit and work in an A/C office do not.
I agree that working in an air conditioned office is an easy affair as we do not get exhausted by the external hot and humid weather but sitting on your desk for long time is definitely tiring for me (apart the boss factor :-p). At the end of the day we all have tired eyes, numb knuckles, back ache, stiff neck and much more.
Last week, my company circulated a pamplet of workstation stretches that are helpful in overcoming ergonomic discomforts. So I thought to share those stretches with all of you. All it takes is few minutes break while sitting on our desk. So Here are some:
1. Look Away and Blink
- Every 20 minutes, look away from the monitor.
- Blink and keep your eyes closed for 20 seconds.
2. Shoulder Rolls
- With your arms by your side, move your shoulders in a forward circle 3 times.
- Repeat going backwards 3 times.
3. Knuckle and Finger Stretch
- Spread your fingers until you feel the stretch. Hold for 5 seconds.
- Curl it in a tight fist and hold for 5 seconds and the release.
4. Wrist Curls
- Fold both your hands in tight fists.
- Rotate them clockwise for 10 times and then anti-clockwise for 10 times.
5. Neck Stretches
- Sit up straight and look down, touch your chin to your chest and hold for 5 seconds.
- Now look up at the ceiling and hold for 5 seconds.
- Bring your head back upright and turn your head to the left looking over your shoulder and hold for 5 seconds.
- Repeat the above step right side.
- Tilt your head towards right shoulder.Hold for 5 seconds. Repeat on left side.
6. Arms Stretch
- Raise your arms towards the ceiling.
- Join the hands while arms are stretched.
- Hold for 10 seconds. Relax
7. Leg and Toe Stretch
- Stretch leg straight out in front of you.
- Point your toes up and hold for 5 seconds.
- Point your toes down and hold for 5 seconds.
- Rotate your ankle to right 3 times.
- Repeat with other leg.
8. Back and Hip Stretch
- Place left leg over right leg and then look over left shoulder
- Keep your right hand on left thigh and apply pressure
- Repeat for the right side
9. Low Back Stretch
- Place you hands on your hips.
- Lean back from top down and stretch your entire spine. Hold for 2 seconds.
10. Blade Squeeze
- Pull your shoulders towards each other backward until you feel the stretch.
- Hold for 5-10 seconds and then relax.