Hope you all are doing in good health. Today I am sharing a simple recipe of masala idli which is made from left over idlis.
It can be made for breakfast or quick brunch. The idea is to fry idlis with veggies of your choice. You can even skip veggies and haldi mirchi masala part instead fry idlis with just onions and sambhar powder…choice is yours!! 😀
For this recipe you need:
- 2 medium onions sliced/diced
- 2 medium tomatoes diced + 3-4 green chilies
- asorted capsicums (I took half portions of yellow red and green capsicum)
- 1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tea spoon red chilli powder/lal mirchi
- 1/2 tea spoon sambhar masala powder
- 1/2 tea spoon mustard seeds/ choti rai
- oil for cooking
- salt as per taste
- left over idlis (I took 12 pieces)
So here is the preparation part…all the veggies sliced n diced..
Okay, so now the cooking part…
- Heat oil in pan and when it hot enough add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter. You can add curry leaves also at this time, I did not have them so could not add but they add nice flavor to dish.
2. Add onions and fry them on medium heat till they are soft and light pink in color…do not brown them completely.
3. Add diced assorted capsicums and fry them on medium heat for 2-3 minutes so that they are tender but retain their color and taste.
4. Add tomatoes and green chilies and fry them on medium heat for 3-4 minutes so that are soft and mushy.
5. While the veggies are being cooked, slice the idlis in quarters like this
Cut all the idlis like so…
6. Add turmeric powder and fry till rawness of turmeric goes.
7. Add red chili powder and fry on low-medium heat for a minute or so
8. Add sambhar masala powder and fry on low heat for a minute
9. Cook the veggies with all the spices well
10. Finally add idli wedges + salt as per taste and toss all the ingredients well.
11. Cover the pan with lid and let the steam form so that idlis will become soft. If idlis are bit hard then sprinkle some water before covering the pan with lid. Keep the flame on low and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
12. Masla idli is ready to be served :-D. Serve it with coconut or green chutney. I like to have it without chutney/tomato ketchup 😀
Do try and it and let me know how it turned 🙂