Today I am gonna share Rajma masala recipe with you all that is made by my Mom and everyone just loves her hand made Rajma. The quantities mentioned will serve for 5-6 people. In case you want to make it for less people then ratio of onions and tomatoes needs to be reduced.
- 400 gms of Rajma that has been soaked and pressure cooked with salt till soft.
- 3 medium onions chopped
- 6 medium tomatoes chopped
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 2 inch ginger
- 3-4 green chilies
- small bunch of coriander leaves
- Mustard oil/ sarso oil or any other oil of your choice.
- 1/2 tea spoon jeera
- less than a teaspoon haldi/turmeric powder
- 2 tea spoons dhaniya/coriander powder
- 2 tea spoons kashmiri lal mirch/red chili powder . Since kashmiri lal mirch has only color and no hotness I have used 2 tea spoons in case you are using any other lal mirchi then quantity needs to be reduced.
- Dry spices: 2 cloves, 1 bay leaf, 1 black cardamom and 2 inch of cinnamon
- small nuch of kasuri methi/ dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tea spoon garam masala
- Ghee 1 table spoon or more as per your choice
- Coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and when the rawness of mustard oil is gone, add dry spices.
2. Cut garlic, ginger and chili length wise or just chop them. I used the same bowl in which chopped onions were kept as all need to be fried together.
3. Put in the onions, ginger, garlic and chilies in the oil and fry onions till they are brown like so
4. Put in tomatoes and fry them till they are soft and mushy. I forgot to add bay leaf in the first step so I added it here along with tomatoes
5.Add a small bunch of kasuri meethi/ dried fenugreek leaves to the masala and fry them along.
6. Add salt as per taste and spices. Since Rajma was also cooked with salt so go easy on salt here.
7. When the spices are cooked well, add chopped coriander leaves. This will give nice flavor to the Rajma masala.
8. Keep frying the masala till it leaves oil. The key in this recipe is to fry the masala very well till its mushy like this:
9. Now add this masala to the Rajma that was pre cooked in pressure cooker and stir well.
10. Add garam masala to this and cook for 2 whistles more so that nice gravy is formed and Rajma combines with masala well.
11. Once the steam is released from pressure cooker on its own, take out the Rajma in a bowl and top it with ghee and coriander leaves.
Rajma masala is ready to be served!!!
Hope you liked the recipe. Do give it a try and let me know how it turned out 😀