Hey there…..Its been almost a week i have not posted in the food segment but i am feeling guilt free since it was my vacation time at Gokarna.
Today I am sharing the recipe of Kashmiri Dum Aaloo, i have seen many restaurants serving kashmiri dum aaloo with onion, garlic and tomato gravy but the fact of the authentic recipe is that none of these are used in the preparation. The authentic kashmiri recipe majorly consists of dry spice powder and whole spices.Its called Dum Olu in kashmiri.
So lets begin…
- 8-10 medium sized boiled potatoes.
- 2tsp of Kashmiri red chilli powder.
- 1/2 tsp fennel powder,
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder.
- 1/4 tsp dried ginger powder
- I medium stick of cinnamon
- 3 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 4-5 cloves
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 pinches of asafoetida
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Mustard Oil
Any cooking oil can be used to prepare the recipe, mustard oil is an authentic ingredient.
- Once the potatoes are boiled take them out , peel off the skin and let them cool.
- Take a toothpick a pierce across the potato gently multiple times.
- Once all the potatoes are done, keep them aside.
- Heat the oil in a vessel and deep fry the potatoes, frying process should be done at a low flame , so that the potatoes are cooked from inside.
- once the potatoes start floating at the surface of the oil,remove them from the vessel and strain the oil.
- Now add 3-4 tbsp of the remaining oil in the vessel,turn on the flame(keep the flame low) and add Bay leaf, green cardamom, Cinnamon,black cardamom,cloves and asafoetida.
- Now add red chilli powder and stir.
- once you see the bubbles over the oil add sugar and 2 tbsp water to it, stir well and continuously
- When you see the gravy sticking on the pan, add 1/4 cup of water and stir well. Repeat this 3-4 times.
- Now add coriander powder,dried ginger powder and fennel powder, stir for few seconds and add 2-3 cups of water.
- Bring the water to boil and add salt and potatoes.Cover with a lid and let it boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Now add garam masala and switch off the flame, gravy should be reduced to least.
Boiling , peeling and piercing process
Fry the potatoes til they become light and crisp
Add the spices as described in the steps above and stir well
Boil the potatoes to reduce the gravy
Your Red Hot Dum Aaloo is ready.
Hope you will enjoy this recipe, do give it a try.