Last Sunday was such a relaxing day for me. Mr. Hubby not only made delicious egg bhurji for breakfast but also tasty dhaba style dal tadka for lunch. I just love his hand made dal tadka and trust me I never enjoy any other dal so much than his. So in this post I am sharing his recipe of tadka dal. Lets start…
- 1 cup arhar/tuar dal, 2 medium onions, 2 medium tomatoes, 7-8 garlic cloves,3-4 green chilies, 2-3 inch of gingerand bunch of coriander leaves.
- 1 tsp jeera, 1/4 tsp heeng/asafoetida, 1/2 tsp haldi/turmeric powder, 1 tsp dhaniya/coriander powder, salt as per taste, oil for cooking.
- For tadka: 2 tsp ghee, 1 tsp jeera , 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- Heat some oil in a cooker and add jeera and heeng.
2. Add washed dal now.
3. Add haldi and water now. Close the lid of the cooker . We have to cook the dal till 2-3 whistles.
4. In a wok or pan, heat some oil and add garlic and green chilies and dry for a minute.
5. Now add sliced/chopped onions and grated ginger. Grated ginger will kill the gastric effect of dal.
6. Fry the mixture till onions are soft and bit brown. Do not completely brown the onions.
7. Add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder and salt now. Cook till tomatoes are mushy and masala leaves oil from sides.
8. Add 2 ladles of cooked dal now and fry the mixture till a minute or so.
9. Add chopped coriander leaves and cook the mixture for a minute.
10. Add the cooked dal now to the above prepared mixture and bring dal to boil till we prepare the tadka. You can have dal as it is now and skip the tadka part.
11. Heat ghee in a tadka or small pan and when ghee is hot, add jeera
12. When jeera has browned, add red chili powder.
13. Add this tadka to the dal and stir the dal well.
14. Dhaba style dal tadka is ready to be served. Enjoy with steam rice or bread of your choice. We had it with rice and mango pickle 😀