Today’s recipe is one of the favorites of my foodie friends and most of the time in demand recipe. Even my husband who hates to eat eggplant, enjoys this recipe. Its easy to make and requires basic ingredients.Although this recipe has little modification than the authentic one but it tastes almost similar.
So lets quickly go through the recipe .
- 2 medium sized eggplants, sliced as shown in the pictorial description.
- 4-5 medium sized tomatoes, sliced or chopped.
- A pinch full of asabfoetida
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel powder
- 1 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried fenu greek leaves
- Salt as per taste
- 6-8 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- Egg plant should be cut into slices only otherwise it will loose its texture while cooked with the tomato gravy.
- Requirement of the oil may vary as its depends on the variety of eggplant.
- Take a frying pan and add 4 tbsp oil and fry the eggplant slices at medium flame.
- Once they turn golden brown in color, transfer them to a bowl.
- Now add 2 tbsp oil to the pan,add asafoetida and sliced tomatoes.
- Add salt, stir well and cover with a lid for 2 minutes at medium flame.
- once the tomatoes start loosing the texture, add coriander powder, fennel powder,red chili powder and fenu greek leaves.
- Stir the mixture well, add garam masala and fried eggplants.
- Mix it well and cover with a lid, let it simmer for 5 minutes, keep checking the gravy in between, if it becomes dry add few drops of water.
- Once the oil starts appearing on the sides of pan, its ready.
Cut the egg plant into slices
Fry the eggplant slices until golden brown and transfer to a bowl
Now add 2 tsp oil, add asafoetida and tomato slices
Once the tomato slices loose the texture, add chili powder, coriander powder,salt and stir well
Now add fenu greek leaves , garam masala and frid egg plant
cook untill the oil stats appearing on the sides of the pan
Yummy tomato egg plant gravy is ready, serve it with rice or paratha.