200 gms chole/chickpeas soaked in water overnight, 2 tomatoes chopped, 2 Green chilli, 2 Black cardamoms, 2 Cinnamon stick small, 2-3 cloves, 1 aniseed, 1 Bay leaf, small piece pathar phool,2 pinches Asafoetida, 1/2 zeera, 1tsp Red chili powder, 1 1/2 tsp Coriander powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp ginger powder, 1 tsp salt, 3 tablespoon sarso or any vegetable oil.
How to make:
1. Pressure cook chole with some salt for 5-6 whistles or till they become soft.
2. Heat sarso oil in a wok and and heat it till rawness of oil is gone. Let the oil cool down for sometime.
3. Keep the stove flame as low medium and add all whole garam masala i.e. cumin seeds, asafoetida, bay leaf, pathar phool,cloves, aniseed, black cardamom. Saute for 30 seconds.
4. Add diced tomatoes and fry the mixture till tomatoes become soft and mushy.
5. When tomatoes become very soft , you have to add all dry spices coriander powder, chilli powder, ginger powder, turmeric powder and salt. Then mix everything properly.
6. Keep frying the mixture till oil separates from the sides.
7. At this stage add soaked chickpeas and cook for 10 to 15 minutes . You can add water if needed to adjust the gravy.
8. Remove from heat and chole is ready. Garnish with green chilli and raw tomato.